EWWW! Vile Bodies

Monday, November 21, 2005

Again, a response that's much too long

Aliza! I totally 100% agree with you. People in this novel are way too detatched. It throws me off. The death of the girl in the hotel room, I think Mike mentioned this, really disturbed me. I mean, everyone just stood around, drinking champagne while a Judge is involved with the very suspicious death of a young girl. Even the police get involved with a 'cover-up' of sorts. Most disconcerting of all is that lack of shock and outrage that follows these events. The lack of emotion around the deaths of their friends also surprised me. When Adam is informing Nina about everything that happened to their compatriots it's like he's telling her about the weather. Her response echoes these sentiments, and the deaths of people who at the beginning are quite prominant and important to the advancements of the plot are disappointing, and even disturbing. Well, I'll leave it there for now. More strangeness yet to come.

1 Comments:

  • Good point, but doesn't this novel take place before the WWI? As I understood it, this was a generation that had not had to fight a war themselves...yet. I could be wrong. Have been before, will be again.

    By Blogger Caitlin, at 12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home