EWWW! Vile Bodies

Thursday, November 17, 2005

War in the novel

A quick respoonse to Mike. I'm still torn. At times I find the characters quite amusing (the Colonel is a perfect example), but for the most part they tend to be very frustrating and even a little shallow. This is a perfect segway (I know I spelt it wrong, but I don't feel like looking up the correct spelling right now) to my topic of the day. Although I have yet finish the novel (less than a hundred pages left) I think I may be coming to grips with the question that was bothering me for the first hundred pages. What does this really have to do with the war? It seemed to be more a novel about partiers than about the effects. This however has changed. As I read, I have found a few passages that really struck me about the way and its effects. The first was on page 84 (ok, so it's a little before a hundred pages). The first real mention of the war that I can think of in the novel is two sentences about the selling of poppies and the two minutes of silence in honour of Armistice Day. It kinda struck me as odd that such an important statement was so easily brushed to the side. It was followed up on page 101 when Adam returns to London and noticing some people who "still wore their poppies" (pg 101). However, it is not until later that I found the effects of the war really coming through on pages 175 and in the converstation on 183-185. I shall comment more in depth on these later. That is all for now, I shall update later. More strangeness yet to come.

The usual citation stuff...Evelyn Waugh. Vile Bodies. you have the book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home