EWWW! Vile Bodies

Saturday, November 19, 2005

Further comment

Just thought I'd add a little to my thought on the war content. The comment on page 175 that I mentioned before was the sentence that made up the second half of the page, and finishing up on page 176. I thought this statement really gave the reader an idea of what Waugh's impression of the people of England during this period might have been, and it wasn't all that flattering. From what I've read it seems to me that Waugh paints a portrait of a flighty, self-indulging generation which not only feeds off of society, but also creates its own destruction. Wowza, loaded sentiment there. Don't know if this is right at all, just a thought. Let me know what you thought about this, and the twist at the end of the novel. It was a good'un. More strangeness yet to come.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home